Sunday, August 2, 2015

nothing...absolutely nothing

"What are you doing in life?"  "What's new?"  "What are you up to?"  

Those three questions are my least favorite questions to be asked right now.  I dread running into people I haven't seen in a while because I know the inevitable will happen.  

Let me tell you what my response is when asked those questions.  "I am doing nothing, absolutely nothing."  It's the truth, I'm not doing anything.  I wake up, play with my nephew, go to work, come home, eat, read, and go to bed. Then the next day I do the exact same thing.  Occasionally I do fun things on the weekends, but nothing extraordinary.  I don't mind this really.  I am fine with my mundane lifestyle, for the moment.  I know things will change soon and I will miss being able to do nothing.  

So why do I hate those questions if I don't mind my answers?  I hate the response I get from people when I say I'm doing nothing.  It's as if I am a horrible person for "doing nothing".  "What??!?! That's not true.  You've gotta be doing something?"  "Yes you are doing something, what are you doing?"  

Please.  Thank you for your concern over my lack of adventure.  But please.  Let me live this lovely life of doing nothing.  Soon, I'll be doing something, I'm sure.  Please, if you ask me what I'm doing, and I respond "nothing" leave it at that....don't try to convince me that I'm doing things, because I'm actually okay that my life is "boring".

No comments:

Post a Comment