Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July memories...

Today I haven't done much; just reminisced about past 4th of July's. Pretty pathetic huh. For the past few years my family hasn't been much into doing anything big on the 4th. But as I have sat and thought today I remember the 4th of July being a huge deal for us. Of course as a younger child everything seemed like a huge deal, but I wish it was still like that. I very distinctly remember going down to Provo one year and watching they're parade with my cousins from California on my mom's side of the family. Why I remember that, I'm not sure, but I do. Then of course there was always tradition. I remember getting together with my mom's oldest sister and their family for breakfast at the local park, then playing games all day. Followed by a barbeque, and of course we'd watch a few parades. We (as an immediate family most of the time) would go to the festivities that Sandy City was having. We'd play the games, eat cotton candy, and enjoy the summer time. Then we'd meet back up with my aunt, uncle, and cousins for the Sandy Parade. That was the highlight of my 4th; I loved the parade. There was something so magical (i guess that's the word I want) about the floats, and the excitement of everything. I loved the Police motorcycles at the beginning, even though they scared me to death! After the parade we would go to my Grandma and Grandpa Christensen's house to do fireworks with them, even though it was still bright outside. It was always so fun to just go and light them. Then we would go back for the Sandy City fireworks, we would normally meet back up with my aunts family, but not always. I loved that day of the year the most. I may not have mnay memories from my youth but every 4th of July I remember my younger years, and every year its the same. I'm always wishing I could go back, and re-live those days at least once. I haven't been to a parade since I was probably 10; I haven't gone and enjoyed the fireworks for probably the same amount of years; we've definitely slowed down on the family get togethers; and we don't do fireworks at my grandparents house anymore- we don't even buy them anymore. I was really hoping that this year could be a little more like the old times; seeing as its the last holiday before I move and get all grown up. Maybe next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment