Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 {a recap}

new years eve;
a time for bloggers everywhere to unite and discuss the past year.
usually i do a month by month recap of my year,
this year...I'm just not feeling it...

2013 
is a year that will be missed, but not longed for after the clock strikes midnight.
There were highs, lows, and lots of in between moments that occurred in 2013.

  • I made it through an entire semester of all online classes, which at times, I didn't think would ever happen.
  • I "graduated" from physical therapy, and though painful, I was grateful every day for it.  (the teasing, and having things thrown at me by the therapists every day, not so grateful for, however.)
  • I followed through with a dream and splurged on my trip to Denver.  That trip has opened up a part of me that has been tucked away, waiting to come out.  It helped me to see the value of living in the moment and not letting things slide by.  The money I spent to go to Denver, could have been used for other things (such as school) but I am glad I used it to get out and do something for myself.
  • I started working as a photographer, and although I spent most of my summer Saturdays and evenings working, I have enjoyed it.
  • I finally, FINALLY, passed Math 1050 and am looking forward to moving on in life!
  • I became friends with some of the most amazing people in 2013, whether it was new friendships forming or old friendships growing stronger, I am grateful for all those who have been an impact on my life.
  • I watched several of my friends get married this year, which as happy as I have been for them, has been hard for me.  It's the natural progression of life, and getting left behind has been a little sad.
  • I spent days crying, caring, and longing to help a friend who lost his mom, only to have him slowly walk out of my life at the end of the year. 
  • My strength in the Gospel was tested this year, which is something I haven't talked about.  It came about during a "parking lot chat" with a friend, after attending her singles ward, and confessing that I had been skipping out on most of my meetings for a few months.  I lost sight of the real reasons I attended church, and got caught up in the "not having any friends" way of life.
  • I saw the value of true friendships and how even though life changes, those that mean the most will still be there.
  • I found myself caught up in a whirlwind of service projects and found myself happiest at that point.
There is more I could recap.  But, really....I don't feel the need to.
However, I will write a bit about my 
2014 goal
If you are on social media anywhere, you may have seen every posting their "one little word" for 2014.
Honestly, I think the idea of having one word, be your motto, for your year, is a lot easier than a lengthy list of goals.  It's easier to keep track of and a lot less stressful.
I wasn't planning on having a word, or at least I wasn't planning on figuring it out so soon.  
But...I think I've figured it out.
My "one little word" for 2014 is going to be...

BRAVE

I was thinking back to the beginning of 2013, things seemed to be really good then.  Life seemed a little easier, a little happier, and a little more fun.   The more I thought about it, the more I realized something.  I was more willing to step out of my comfort zone then, I was willingly attending FHE (occasionally by myself), I was going to parties, I wasn't so scared.  I don't know if it is because I have had to truly do some of these things on my own a lot more often, or what, but I have been afraid of doing things.  So in 2014 I plan to do things on my own more, to get to know people, and do something that surprises me.   It's not going to be entirely easy, but I have a feeling that this is what I need in life right now.  So here's to 2014, where I hope to find myself and become a little better, and little braver. 

No comments:

Post a Comment